So with the new family I am nannying for they have an amazing herb garden in their backyard. They told me I can use anything in it since it is so full and the snow is coming! What did I go straight to…. Basil! Homemade Pesto… Yes please! Here is my recipe for homemade Pesto! This is great on any bread or pasta. I decided to bake the chicken in the pesto and top with Parmesan cheese. I laid the chicken on the pesto angel hair pasta. Enjoy!
- 2 cups fresh basil leaves, packed
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan-Reggiano or Romano cheese
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/3 cup pine nuts or walnuts
- 3 medium sized garlic cloves, minced
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 4 chicken breasts
- packet of angel hair
- 1/2 cup of extra Parmesan for the pasta and chicken
- Special equipment needed: A food processor. I did it in a blender but take a lot more time and patience.
Combine the basil in with the pine nuts, pulse a few times in a food processor. (If you are using walnuts instead of pine nuts and they are not already chopped, pulse them a few times first, before adding the basil.)
Add the grated cheese and pulse again until blended. Add a pinch of salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste.
Serve with pasta, or bake chicken , or spread over toasted baguette slices.
Makes 1 cup So I doubled it.
Cook pasta and add 4 tablespoons of pesto and 1 1/2 tablespoons of milk and stir. Mix in more cheese if you would like.
Top chicken over pasta!