This was super easy and delicious on Halloween to go with some great chili! Easy to whip up and put it in the oven and make your whole house smell delicious. Enjoy
Jalapeno Cheddar Cornbread
Adapted from Ina Garten’s “Barefoot Contessa at Home”
•3 cups all-purpose flour
•1 cup yellow cornmeal
•1/4 cup sugar
•2 tablespoons baking powder
•2 teaspoons kosher salt
•2 cups milk
•3 extra-large eggs, lightly beaten
•1/2 pound (2 sticks) unsalted butter, melted, plus extra to grease the pan
•8 ounces aged extra-sharp Cheddar, grated, divided
•1/3 cup chopped scallions, white and green parts, plus extra for garnish, 3 scallions
•3 tablespoons seeded and minced fresh jalapeno peppers
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 9-by-13-by-2-inch baking pan.
2. In a large bowl, combine the flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder and salt.
3. In a small bowl, combine the milk, eggs, and butter.
4. With a wooden spoon, stir the wet ingredients into the dry until most of the lumps are dissolved. Don’t over mix! Mix in 2 cups of the Cheddar, scallions and jalapenos, and allow the mixture to sit at room temperature for 20 minutes.
5. Pour the batter into the prepared pan, smooth the top, and sprinkle with the remaining grated Cheddar and extra chopped scallions. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool and cut into large squares. Serve warm or at room temperature.